Jumping off the Deep End

Having you ever jumped off the deep end? Literally?

When I was about 9 years old, I went to Sunnyside Pool on the shores of Lake Ontario, the biggest outdoor pool in Toronto.  I was with my brother, David, who is 2 years older than me. He was always confident and didn't show much fear of anything.

I was hovering around the shallow end, about waist deep, comfortable. But I was watching David at the other end of the pool, jumping off the low diving board, having fun.

Suddenly, he moved to the big diving board, climbed up the ladder and boldly jumped off. He did it again. And again. He seemed to be having so much fun. I decided I wanted to jump too.

So I made my move.

I went over and told him I want to jump off the high diving board.

He said it was too high and I would be too scared. I was sure I was ready. After much resistance he let me go ahead of him in line.

With confidence and excitement intertwined with a bit of fear and trepidation, I started the climb.

But then the unexpected happened. When I got to the top, and looked down, the water looked so far away. It didn't look that way from the ground. My legs began to shake. I stood there, frozen.

The line up behind me was getting longer. My brother was getting irritated. "Just jump" he'd say. But I couldn't. After what seemed forever, I turned around, climbed back down the ladder, and returned to the shallow end. Disappointed, but comfortable once again.

Have you ever had the chance to jump but just couldn't do it? It doesn't feel good.

It feels so much better to "go for it" and just jump.

Now, many years later, I have a new chance to jump. And this time I'm going for it!

I have said "yes" to a new opportunity to work with Villages of Hope in Sub-Sahara Africa helping children and orphans.

In many ways, it's like I'm back at the high diving board. It's scary, unknown, and I'm torn - I wanna jump, but also kinda prefer to say in the known of both my homeland, Canada, and my known career of marketing.

But, I'm not going to climb back down the figurative ladder - I'm jumping in. I may end up doing a cannonball. If I won't try a dive, as it won't be pretty. But I'm going to jump the only way I know how, and know it will be worth it.

My dad was a risk-taker. Whenever I was unsure of something, or afraid of the unknown (but knew deep down it would be great), I'd ask him for advice.

His answer was always the same "Go for it kid!" So I'm going for it. I'm jumping.

I ask you today - What you are afraid to jump into? When have you jumped and glad you did? What happened? Share your story with us!

and next time you have a chance to jump.. go for it. I'm sure you'll be glad you did.





Comments

  1. Jumped into retirement today! Don't know if it will be a pretty dive or a cannonball splash, but I am taking the plunge! Thanks for the analogy, Jeanette!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?