What is a mission?

My first short-term mission trip to St. Lucia at 16 years old

Have you ever wondered what is a "mission?"

I looked up the definition the other day. It said it's "an important assignment carried out for political, religious or commercial purposes, typically involving travel."

I love that - "an important assignment". Almost makes me feel like James Bond. It's bold, adventurous, urgent - like it could be a matter of life or death. Maybe sometimes it is.

Several years ago, I wrote my personal mission statement - "to serve and honor Him".  I added, " "I want to be known for who I am, not just want I do." because I think our core character matters too.

I've had some cool important assignments in my life.

When I was 16, I took my first short-term mission trip was to St. Lucia.

After my first year at Bible College, I spent the summer in Calcutta, India with missionaries, Mark and Huldah Buntain.

Most recently, I spent over 20 years on assignment with World Vision Canada contributing to helping the poor.

Last, but not least, my most important assignment in life, by far, is being a mom to Daniel.

This fall, I'm starting a new assignment, a new "mission", with Villages of Hope Africa (VOH).

I've called my blog "Jeanette's Mission" because it is about this new assignment in my life.

My mission is to impact the lives of orphans and vulnerable children so they can grow up to be contributing members of their community and know God's love for them. That's an important assignment. I'm honored to be part of it.

But, it's not just me, all of have a purpose, a mission in life.

There are many important assignments here in Canada, not just overseas. It can be raising a family, making a difference in the corporate world, advocating for injustice, being a great friend p to name just a few.

So, now it's your turn. Have you ever thought about what is your important assignment? What is your mission? Take 60 seconds and share with us! 


Assemblies of God mission in Calcutta, India
after my first year of Bible College (1981)

My first trip to Africa was in 2008 with World Vision - to Tanzania!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?