Jambo (Hello) from Africa!





















My first week in Africa has been crazy! A rollercoaster of the finest kind.

Power outages, water shortages, thunderstorms, isolation, questioning … making new friends, excitement, learning, laughing … and more. All packed into 7 days!

It’s been an adjustment that's for sure. I’ve been to Africa many times but never stayed in a place for $15/night, waking up most mornings with no water for a shower , and sitting most evenings in the pitch dark except for the small flame of a candlelight so I can reach out to family and friends on data (at least I got that figured out)!

But it’s also been amazing. I’ve met new friends at Villages of Hope Kitwe. I’m humbled by their passion, competency and laser focus on putting the children first. I've seen the joy in the children's faces and heard it in their robust singing. And I’m learning much - not just about the programs (which have consistently impressed me) but about the motivations and vision of each as well.

I’ve questioned - Why did I sign up for this? Can I do it? Should I quit?

And I’ve got answers - An overwhelming sense of His presence and peace, a new motto to "Go with the flow", and a constant reminder to trust Him and know He will help me. - So I’ve got this! :)

I already have far too many stories to share. Watch for my posts on Facebook and Instagram as I share snippets each week. But, in the meantime, here are:

My Top 3 Highlights 
of Week One


1. The moment during an interview with Enela, the head school master, when we realized my dad was a major donor for the Reinhard Bonke crusade where her mom came to know Jesus. What he sowed so many years ago still impacts the lives of people today.





2. The dark night of intense thunder and lightening with a power outage, where I journaled by candle light and literally found deep peace in the midst of the storm. 

3. Listening to children spontaneously break out into singing, during a car ride, with a song that reminds them God has the whole world in His hands.



I could go on and on, but I’ll wrap up with something a little more lighthearted ...

I try to Skype my 86 yr old mom, Junie, everyday. She worries and wants to know I'm ok. When I called her one night last week, she was watching opening night of Leafs vs Senators game. (She loves hockey!) She asked me how I was and then had just one question for me, "Do you get the hockey game there?" I politely answered, "No, I don't think so." :)






Thanks for your love and prayers - I’m gonna need them ... but also know He will answer!

Enjoy a few more pics below of the first week... more to come! 
Jeanette

ps. Post a comment of your reaction. Would love to hear from some of you!


African street life



Children singing in weekly chapel
My official welcome ceremony!
Serving a nutritious porridge before school

Helping mom get lunch ready

Lunch with Leah, a house mom, and her 8 children

What a great mission statement... it's happening!







Comments

  1. So awesome! Sounds like a perfect beginning of a great journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great first update Jeanette! Thanks for the meaningful stories and your honesty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting and challenging Jeanette. Your making a difference and wonderful memories, doing what you've always desired to do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is so wonderful Jeanette! Love hearing the update, knowing that even though there are challenges you are ok and you are in His will!! What you are experiencing and how you are impacting the lives of others is an inspiration! Praying for your continued strength, safety and peace!!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing Jeanette - it sounds like an exciting journey of faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to follow along J. Let the games begin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! That's awesome stuff! You're an inspiration! Just wondering; am I one of the "hoping to hear from SOME of you" that you were talking about? Would be kinda awkward if I wasn't. :-s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha...I was gonna ask her the same thing! Hope I'm one of the "some" too!!

      Delete
  8. So nice to hear your updates! I look forward to hearing more about your journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so inspirational and a joy to read how God is leading you to leave it with Him! Awesome Jeanette.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?