I went "Fishing" this week!





I’ve been in Africa for just over a month and already have more stories to tell then I’m sure you want to hear. I debated what should I share that would be of interest to and amuse you?
  • Do I show photos of interesting, amazing African everyday life? (Keep following my Instagram/FB posts for that.)
  • Do I tell you about “Scripture Clubs” at VOH – Chongwe, where the children self-select 1 of 5 Clubs to learn more about Scripture through Song, Art, Drama, Scribe or Discipleship? It's an amazing program that fosters self-esteem, creativity and teaches the Bible to children in fun, meaningful ways! (see below for more – but not til after you read the rest this blog!)
  • Do I give a long update on my visa issues? I'm getting tired of talking about it. And it's certainty been a lesson on letting go and trusting God. But here it goes - Hot off the press (Cole's notes version):
o   My Zambia visa got approved today! 
o   No news yet on Tanzania work permit (and I can’t enter without it) so…
o   I’m going to stay in Zambia until Christmas
o   Go to Harere, Zimbabwe in Jan 
o   Then wait to see what God does in the new year and go from there! 

Thanks for all of you who have been praying. God came through.

In case you’re wondering, "how can you do your work if you're supposed to be in Tanzania?" Here’s the scoop: I work for VOH Africa, which means I’m engaged with all 10 villages in 5 countries of Zambia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Malawi and Burundi. The plan was to visit each of them anyway, and I can do my work from any of them, so this “Plan B” is still good and won’t hinder my work in any way.

This leads me to what I want to share …. What actually is my job? and how I went "Fishing!" this week! 

My job is to help develop and ensure VOH processes run well and there is integrity, quality and effectiveness of the work. Part of this is to audit the Monthly Financial Reports from each of the 10 villages and ensure funds from Canada are transferred on time so they can continue their work for the upcoming month. 

Good news! I finished my first set of Financial Report Audits this week and the money is on the way! Check! 

But what about “Fishing?”

We are in the thick of planning, budgeting and setting goals for 2020. As part of this, I went to a meeting this week that literally was called the "Fishing Meeting".

The director explained: Fishing is going to the river and catching the fish. Our “fish” is Initiatives. We have 3 rivers from which to fish: 1) “Ideal vs Real” River 2) The “SWOT” River 3) “5 Year Projection” River (of projects), or we could go outside the community and find other streams where we might catch something good!”

I loved that - I couldn't help but think of the big fishing tournaments on Lake Couching at the cottage. The good fishermen (like my brother) know the best spots to find the biggest catch … and often it’s in the most unexpected places!

So we fished...  
  • We started with the vision of what we want to accomplish in our 5 year plan
  • Thought about new initiatives to help us get there
  • And caught some big ones! (Like a Re-integration Exposure program, & Outreach to Caregivers)
I listened mostly... something I'm trying to practice more here (for those of you know me well, stop laughing!) But I did throw out my line a few times just to see what we could catch... it was fun!

The fishing isn't done. But it was a great start! Now we work on plans and metrics that will make the new ideas come to life and become a reality. It was a great day overall. I didn't know I liked fishing so much!

The unexpected sure happened this month.... visa issues, new plans, fishing.. let's see what happens next month!

Ok, now you can see some pics of the "Scripture Clubs." Enjoy! 

… and feel free to send a comment, that would be great!

Jeanette



Scripture Art Club - The children review a passage then draw art of how they imagine it. 
This week it was the Genesis 3 Creation Story

Scripture Song Club - (This was my personal favourite!) A Bible verse or portion is selected 
and the children make up songs to help remember it. They reported it helps bring Scripture to mind 
during hard times and encourages them. 
This week it was the Lord's Prayer. Check it out!


Scripture Discipleship Club - Here they study a Bible passage in-depth
ask questions and have the help of a Pastor to discuss and share. 
This week was on Peter's vision in Acts 13 

Scripture Drama Club - where they re-enact the passage. 
It helps them remember the story and makes it real to them, especially in today's context. 
This week it was the Parable of the 10 Virgins from Matthew 25


Whether through art, song, study or drama  - they are learning God's Word!

Pretty cool, eh?!




Comments

  1. Jeanette, I love reading your blog. What an amazing adventure you are on! Congrats on getting the visa! Jyoti Kona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog and great things happening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving us a window to 'see' your life and the workings of VoH Africa! It's always fun to see through a new set of eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That’s so great. I’m loving the blog. Keep writing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?