2021 Q1 Update

                                                                                                        April 2021                                           
The first 3 months of this year sure haven't been boring. I thought I'd be back in Africa by now. All I know is that every time I planned something, the plans changed - either by God, Covid, or both! But I'm grateful. The work of VOH Africa continues to impact the lives of children everyday and I'm thankful that you and I am part of it. Hope you enjoy this brief update. Jeanette 
What's been Happening
COVID hit Africa hard in the the first quarter of this year. After the Christmas vacation break, South Africa spread into neighboring countries. Many schools, including schools at our VOH centres, have had openings/closures just like in Canada, and work has sometimes been restricted with lock downs as well. There are no government safety nets there. When I spoke to the VOH Director of Kitwe last week, I asked "How are people's mental health?" She replied, "We don't worry about that. We worry about cash. With the inflation and lockdowns people are just worried on how they will feed their children." I know mental health is a real issue, but it seems survival is top of mind there at the moment. 

Thankfully, the work of VOH continues. Safety protocols are in place, most of the schools have now reopened, we continue to provide "Hope Feeding Packs" to children and families in need and we are preparing for the future.

Regarding my return, the Executive Director advised in January, that it's best we continue to work virtually from Canada until things settle a bit in Africa. So I set up shop, have a good routine going and am able to continue my work from here for the moment. 

In Q1, I set up monthly Zoom calls with each of the 10 VOH Centres to keep on top of key deliverables for each quarter. It's been a huge success! I work with each of the 10 centres and go over what's due and what's coming up in the next couple of months. I help to clarify things, we brainstorm together and set plans in place. Then I monitor that it happens. Some key initiatives we worked on together in Q1 included:
  • 2020 Annual Reports
  • Summary Review of 2016-2020 5 year plans
  • 2021 Cash Flow projections
  • Standards Audit - Part 1 & 2
  • Contextualized versions of our new Child Safeguarding Policy
I love these Zoom calls. It keeps me connected, we get alot accomplished, and I get reports back from the VOH Directors how much they appreciate these meetings to keep on track and how my input really makes a difference!

We're looking forward too. We've been busy getting plans & designs in place to start some exciting projects in Q2- like water systems, classrooms and even a chicken coop! Stay tuned for more.  
A brief video clip explaining my role
VOH Impact
An update wouldn't be an update without a couple of short stories about what's been happening with the children! 
As the school term came to an end in March, children in Chongwe, Zambia took term tests to assess their academic programs and to help us evaluate the effectiveness of the teaching. Typically VOH schools are above national average. We expect the same again this year. 
In Mongu, the children received their general health check ups. Sam, a volunteer medical doctor, helped our medical staff perform screening of all the school age children for common childhood diseases. 
Meet Alfred. He was a former VOH child in Malawi, who came to the centre when he was only eight years old. He's really smart. From from an early age, worked hard and excelled in high school. Today, he is an intern at VOH Malawi, working as an assistant teacher, where is is saving up for college! At the end of his internship he plans to attend college and study for a degree in Business Administration.
Prayer Needs
Please pray with me for the following:
  • That the South Africa strand would stop spreading and the curve flattens
  • Wisdom for the leadership as they continue to navigate through COVID
  • For the VOH children who are missing close social interaction with friends
  • God provides a few more individuals and churches to partner with me
  • I have wisdom for the right timing of when to return to Africa
 
Thank you!
Thanks for being a partner with me through your prayers, giving and support. You are part of impacting the lives of children in need! May I encourage you, that though we certainly are living in uncertain times, to keep your eyes set on Him, the author and finisher of our faith. (Heb 12:2) Amen.
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward them for what they have done. 
Proverbs 19:17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?