I want to be like her.

Have you ever met someone and thought "I want to be like her"? I had that experience with Mrs. Zowa.

She is the director/pastor's wife of VOH Zimbabwe. The first time I met her, her bright wide smile made me instantaneously feel welcomed and cared for. It felt warm.

But it was the second time we interacted that should out to me. We went together to the Community Feeding program, where they give porridge and have a preschool program for young children in need.

Just after we arrived - Mrs. Zowa went missing. I couldn't see her anywhere. Then I found her. She had left the group to go talk to four pre-teen boys, to ask them why they weren't in school. She stopped to take time for a child. She showed them care and concern and let them know how important they were to her.



We went about our business, handing out the porridge and playing with the children. Once again I realized Mrs. Zowa was no where to be found. As I looked around - there she was, in the distance, interacting, hugging and sharing love with a few of the mothers in such a tender, joyful way.





It made me wonder - if someone were to observe me from a distance, unbeknownst to me, what would they see? Would they see Christ's love in action? Would they be smitten by the true humility that was being demonstrated of doing things for no recognition, when nobody (she thought) was watching?

Sadly, I think if someone watched me from a distance, often they may see otherwise.

I told her a few days later how I noticed her actions and the love she was sharing. She was dumbfounded. She had no idea. That's because she wasn't doing it for show. It was a natural extension of what was inside her, the Fruit of the Spirit overflowing in natural ways through everyday interactions.

Her office is right beside mine in the VOH admin building. Every time someone comes by, she stops what she's doing and makes them feel like the most important person in the room. She always takes time for them (though I know she has a ton of work to do!) Somehow, I think that's what Jesus would have done too. Always having time for others.


As I continue my journey, I pray that the Fruit of the Spirit would continue to grow in my life and pour out naturally in and through me - kindness, gentleness, goodness, peace, patience, self-control, faithfulness, joy, love. And maybe next time you see me from a distance, unbeknownst to me, you will see what I saw in Mrs. Zowa.


In terms of a quick update ...

Things are going well in Zimbabwe. I'm enjoying it here. The people are friendly, the impact is amazing, the children are stealing my heart and my work is going great. I'm settled as much as I can be. I've adjusted to my bucket showers, and evenings in the dark, but otherwise I'm good. I was given a car to use, so that's wonderful! I explore on the weekends, have joined a great social tennis group to play on Saturday afternoons and go to the Village of Hope Community church on Sunday.

I'm really starting to see how God is using my experience and gifts in my work. The last 6 weeks have been consumed with helping each director to finalize their income and budget projections. It's been a great way to build 1-1 relationships with each one of them.  I feel like I'm one of them now.

I go to a Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada Missions Conference for Global Workers working in Africa, in South Africa in early April. Then, the unknown (again). We have applied for a work permit in Zambia (I would love to stay in Zim, but visas are very hard to come by here) as we think it would be good to have a home base to hang my hat. We will see. If it comes through, I will go there in April, if not, I'm not sure. And what happens afterwards, I'm still not sure. But for today, I'm thankful for the experience, still trusting, confident it will all work out and doing my best to become like Mrs. Zowa.

Thanks to each of you for your love, support and prayers. I know I've said it before, but I truly mean it how grateful I am for you.

As always - I'd love to hear your comments... Do you know of someone like Mrs. Zowa? Any advice you want to share?

Comments

  1. What a blessing your blog was this afternoon and what an awesome reminder! The most important things we do in a day may have nothing to do with work in front of us but what's on the periphery. I too want to be like Mrs. Zowa! You're still in my prayers that God will work things out the way they're supposed to!

    M.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?

No more waiting!