Q2 Update (Apr-June 2021) plus some exciting news!



I booked my ticket - leaving for Tanzania on Sept 8th! It's exciting and scary all at the same time! But it's time. I'm ready for what God has planned for me to do there. Please pray for me in the upcoming weeks for all the details and the peace of God as I enter this next stage of the journey, and most of all continue to pray for me when I'm there! Next time you hear from me, it'll be from Africa ...

But for now... here's the Q2 update.... alot was going on (including a new preschool!)

Q2 Update

                                                                                                      July 2021                               
Projects! That's the theme of the last 3 months! Several of the VOH centres were busy working with experts to design and build new projects from chicken coops to classrooms to solar systems and more!  In the middle of this, COVID is in another huge surge, now at its height in Africa, but we continued to find ways to care for the children! 
What's been Happening
Projects!

I told you in the Q1 report that we've been busy getting plans & designs in place to start some exciting projects in Q2- like water systems, classrooms and even a chicken coop! I didn't lie. The work has begun!
 
For every special project we undertake in VOH, 3 key documents are required:
  • Project Initiative (what it is, why it's needed, challenges, the impact it will have etc.)
  • Design Document (drafted plans and specs)
  • Budget (quotes, estimates and detailed costs)
I have an important role in the projects that happen in all of the VOH Centres. My job is to make sure everything is in order to ensure the key documents are completed, the budget is aligned with the project funds secured, funds are used to the designated purpose and that the projects keep on time and on budget.

Here's a sampling of some projects we started in the last 3 months:
  1. Updated Preschool Classroom - We've updated the preschool in Chongwe with new paintings, chairs, tables and carpet to create a great child-friendly environment for the  little ones to begin their education journey. So cute!! Wish I had Winnie the Pooh on my walls when I was in Kindergarten!
  2. Chicken Coop - The goal is to rear 400 chickens every 6 weeks! 250 children in Chongwe will be involved. It's a great way to help them gain skills in basic business knowledge of running a business, specifically how to look after the chicks, monitoring and marketing. As a bonus, the local funds it raises will provide additional funding for the centre and its programs.
  3. New Classroom Blocks in Mongu and Burundi - More classrooms means more children can come to school. In Mongu, the new classrooms will enable us to increase by 2 classes per grade. So great!
  4. Improved Water Systems - In Kitwe, we will have 40,000 Litres of clean water for the Village on the daily basis which will serve the School, Children's Homes and the entire Centre. Luongo is our newest center in a remote rural area. We're building a 10,000 Litre Water Tank there to provide  clean drinking water for the VOH school community and water for the children’s families under our care and nearby community members.
  5. Solar Back Up System - Power outages happen almost every day in many parts of Africa! It's frustrating!! A back up system, from solar energy, means work can carry on with no interruptions! 0 hours lost! Amazing.
Many of these projects are a bit of brick and mortar... (except the chickens of course).. but they are means to an end. Having high quality facilities, clean water and essentials like computers is the backdrop to program quality impacting their healthcare, education, skills training and more. That's what really matters!

Here's some pics..... the Preschool classroom, a Chicken coop, Classroom & Classroom Block designs, a Water Tower Drawing and the Solar Backup Power system!




VOH Impact
An update wouldn't be an update without a couple of short stories about what's been happening with the children. With Zambia facing it's third COVID outbreak, here's 3 ways we are caring for the children in Zambia amidst the challenges.

In Mongu, the children pick up school homework, so they don't get too far behind, and nutritional HOPE packs of food for their family.

In Luongo, we are running a daily feeding program to make sure the children don't miss out on essential nutrition. 

And in Chongwe, the Ministry of Health sent newly trained nurses to work in our VOH clinic, a government approved health care centre, due to the rising number of COVID cases across the country. 

Prayer Needs
Please pray with me for the following:
  • That the ongoing projects are completed with no complications and are used for His glory
  • That the recent surge of COVID cases lessen in Africa and that governments have the international support and national will to intervene with health care and vaccines
  • Wisdom for the VOH national leadership as they continue to navigate through COVID
  • For me, as I prepare to head to Tanzania on Sept 8 ... for my mom (who doesn't want me to go!), my family, and that I continue to trust Him as I go into the unknown
Thank you!
As I prepare to go back to Africa, I hope you know how much I value each of you. I met with a wonderful partner in my mission work this week. He said to me "I have the easy part, all I do is write the cheque, you're the one who doesn't know where you will live" I said no way. We are all contributing, just in different ways. God's work needs all of us!  Thanks for being one of them! 1 Cor 12:12-27
Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward them for what they have done. 
Proverbs 19:17
Send me an email to let me know you'll be praying for me! 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Done!

It was a long time coming!