Back on African Soil!

 


Well I finally arrived. It feels like a long time since I came home to Canada lCOVID hit last spring, but after being back in Africa for just a week, it already feels like I never left! 

In case you missed it, I'm going to be based in Mwanza, Tanzania. My role is still regional, supporting all 10 VOH centres in 5 countries (Malawi, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Burundi and here) but being based here means I can also help out a bit with the VOH Tanzania work while Julius, the director is on leave. He's taking a bit of a break with his 3 sons after the tragic loss of his wife last November. One of the local board members is assuming the role of interim director until he returns, so hopefully I can be some extra support as needed.

Coming in Africa is an adjustment, but I'm settling in. I'm living in a studio apartment in the basement of the Julius's home. It's comfortable, cheery and cozy ... despite the bathroom pipe that burst a couple of nights ago and flooded my one room. I'm getting used to driving on the left side of the road again (somehow I think I like it better than right hand driving) and have successfully found my way to/from work each day!

The village is great! People are friendly and welcoming!

We've already started to connect on our work together. The last 2 days, the VOH Mwanza Child Protection and Welfare members joined me at an online "Day of General Discussion" held once every 2 years by the UN Committee on the Rights of the Child focusing on a specific child rights issue. This year, the focus is on
 Children’s Rights and Alternative Care. This is so relevant to VOH, as we realize the best place for vulnerable children is to stay with their family or extended families within their communities and want to continue to find new and effective ways to make this happen. We listened to findings and presentations from  members of the UN Committee, child rights experts and researchers, practitioners and best of all, children and  young people from the Children and Youth advisory committees, with personal alternative care experience. It was so insightful!

And of course, it's always wonderful to see the children! Even though they are still on school break until next week, we had a session on Thursday teaching some of them the Shema, from Numbers 6:4-5, helping them to memorize the passage and discussing with them what it means to love God with all our heart, soul and might.  

Here's a little peak:



It's always exciting for me when I see the children learning about God! 
I'm sure I'll have lots more to report in the days ahead, but wanted to send this quick update to you, after my first week, to let you know God is already showing His faithfulness. I'm excited to see what lies ahead! In the meantime, here's a few specific prayer requests:

Thanks for being on this mission with me! Talk again soon!
Many blessings,
Jeanette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?