It finally happened!

I got my Tanzania Work Permit and Residence Permit! I know I've been asking for prayer for this for a long time, but it finally happened. I picked up my card today! THANK YOU FOR YOUR PRAYERS!


The thing about this is - it's actually been over 50 years in the making! As a young girl, I felt called to missions. First, praying for my dad to stop drinking and get saved (he did when I was 10), then going to Bible College and spending a summer in Calcutta, India when I was 19, then working in an NGO for over 20 years focused on raising funds for the world's most vulnerable children, and finally my journey with Villages of Hope Africa that began 3 years ago this month.

When I first signed up as a one year volunteer with VOHA, we applied for a visa in Tanzania. After 7 months of paperwork and applying, it was rejected. So I went to Zambia and Zim on short-term business visas, and then worked from Canada during COVID. When it was finally time to return to Africa, we felt Tanzania was still the right place to make as my home base so when I came back to Africa last fall, I came here, again, on short-term business visas. Lots more paperwork. Finally, after a lot of prayer and effort, it was granted!! What brought me to tears today, is it actually says "Missionary" on my card. 



Last step - I got the "Stamps!" So official. They love stamps in Africa! I love the sound of those stamps! 

I was reading a devotion by Rick Warren the other day about Dreams. He said:

"People deal with their dreams in one of three ways: They accuse, they excuse, or they choose. Accusers spend their entire lives blaming others for why they haven’t achieved their dreams. Excusers make excuses for why they are not living their dreams. Choosers do what it takes to live their dreams". He continued, "You can’t control your circumstances. But you can control how we respond to those circumstances".

Some of the circumstances of my life didn't turn out as planned. But I never forgot the dream. Today, I'm so thankful to God that, by His grace, I took those circumstances and followed my dream. Today, the dream is a reality.

I encourage you to do the same.

If God has given you a dream, don’t give up. Even if it takes 50 years! If you don’t yet have a dream, ask God to give you one – one that will impact eternity, focus your energy and help you endure when the going gets tough, or the dream seems impossible.


In a follow-up devotion, Rick said: “The Bible says in 1 Corinthians 9:25-26, “An athlete goes to all this trouble just to win a blue ribbon or a silver cup, but we do it for a heavenly reward that never disappears. So I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I fight to win” (TLB). When you choose God’s dream for your life, you become purpose driven… God’s dream focuses your energy so that you can run straight to the goal he has set for you. When you run with that kind of effort, you won’t waste a second of your life.”

I know He has a purpose for each of our lives. For me, it's bringing hope to vulnerable children through Villages of Hope Africa.  Why not be a dreamer today? And then, go for it. Who knows what He has in store for you?! Whatever it is - it will be good
! Amen.

 
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

I'm Done!