Q2 Update - Check out what's been happening

 


Under the Mango Tree
The best place to hangout 


Q2 Update                                                                          July 2022

Hope you enjoyed the video clip under the Mango Tree! It's been great settling back into Mwanza and becoming more like home every day ... Best of all, I see the value of being among the children and supporting the VOH staff here in Mwanza.  In this update, check out a couple of the things I've been working on, and a few short stories of what's been happening in some of the VOH centers in the last few months. Thanks for your part in touching the lives of the children - we're in this together!

What's been Happening
I
f you've been reading my updates, you know some of the things I've been working, like finally getting my Tanzanian work permit and developing a framework for helping more children with Albinism, but there's alot more I've been up to.


Julius has finished his Sabbatical and is now back at the VOH Mwanza office and the compound (I live in a studio apt at the basement of his home). So nice to have him back! I've been spending time working with him and the VOH Mwanza leadership team to help ensure their new year strategic plan aligns with his vision for where he sees God leading VOH Mwanza in the next 3 years. It's looking good!

Another exciting thing I've been working on is developing a process and plan to do my first In-Field audit.

Every year, the VOH centers' leadership teams complete self-audits to report on how they are doing against VOHA Stnadards and Child Safeguarding. One of the key responsibilities of my role is to ensure the programs are effective in impacting the children's lives. I do that by reviewing their reports, but once it in a while it's good to check by seeing the work firsthand and talking to some of the beneficiaries. I've just finished the first draft of the plan and will be hopefully heading out in the fall to do an in-field audit pilot in Zambia. Stay tuned for more!

Besides VOH, I'm getting more and more involved in Petra Church, the church plan that Julius and Jade started a couple of years ago. It's wonderful to be building friendships and jump into serving... I now lead the "Professionals Connect" (aka bible study) - it's really fun to discuss how we apply God's word to our workplace and to be able to share what I've learned along the way (through my successes and failures!) with those just starting their careers!

It's been a great 3 months. Lots going on ... and yet "I've only just begun!" 

VOH Impact

I like to balance my updates between what I'm doing and what's been happening with the children around the VOH centres. Here's 4 short stories for you to enjoy!


VOH Chongwe has a great partnership with the Ministry of Health. Recently, they sent a group of new nurses trained by the government to help out at the clinic for a few weeks. It's great to see the confidence the Ministry has in VOH by sending this group to serve at the clinic!


VOH Kitwe held a fire drill and fire safety training weeks ago. The staff and children learned what to do in the case of a fire and what number to call for help. The training was held by a firefighter who talked about what it’s like to work at the fire hall and showed how fire trucks work. The children and staff loved it - and it was good for safety too!


Inflation has risen in many African countries, just like it has in Canada. Poverty levels continue to rise. VOH Luongo has an extension care program to help vulnerable children in the area. They provide families that they’ve identified as most in need with basic food supplies such as a mealie meal, cooking oil, and salt.

The children are so happy to receive these blessings for their families and their guardians couldn’t believe it when they came to collect the items. Some said these were the only groceries they’ve had in a long time. To me, this is what Christianity is all about. 


Finally, I love to take the mission of VOHA and bring it to down to how it helps one child at a time. Meet Florence from VOH Malawi. She is 10 years old, in grade 4 at our school, has one sibling and lives with her mom, who is a housekeeper. Even though her mom is busy, she always does her best to help Florence do well in school and make the most of the opportunities she’s been given. As a result, Florence has grown into a very responsible young girl.

One of the things she takes seriously is looking after her school uniform. Recently, she received a certificate of recognition for always keeping her uniform in good condition and arriving at school each day looking good and ready to learn! Her favourite subject is English. When she grows up, Florence wants to be a nurse because she wants to care for people and because she likes the uniform! 

Prayer Needs
Please pray with me for the following:
  1. That inflation will subside, and people will be able to provide for their families
  2. Partnerships with local Ministries, such as Health and Education, continue to be strong 
  3. God helps me as I develop the In Field Audit, to measure program quality and effectiveness
  4. I will continue build relationships and be a blessing to the young adults and people at Petra Church 
Thank you!
Thanks for being part of this ministry! Your gifts and prayers spur me on in my work and impact the lives of the children we seek to serve! 

I was reading Matt 7 this morning, about the golden rule of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." May God bless you for living this verse out in such practical, meaningful ways!
             
              Whoever is kind to the poor lends to the Lord, and He will reward them for what they have done. Prov 19:17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?