Children have a Voice! Sept 15, 2022

 


I have 2 exciting things to talk about today - something that just happened last week, and something that is about to happen next week!

First, what happened last week - the "Keeping Children Safe" Conference. This is an annual 3 day (online) conference with NGOs and professionals around the world who care about child safeguarding, ensuring children are safe and their rights are known and respected.

This year, there was a session that featured some VOH children who talked about the Child Safeguarding policy and practice in their VOH centres. They shared what they learned about the VOH child safeguarding policy, how it impacts them, what can be done to improve it and more. It's really exciting for me (and I hope you too) to see children understand their rights as children, feel empowered to take action, and report they feel they safe when they come to VOH school everyday. 

My favourite parts were when Blessing said she learned what her rights are, she realized VOH children have the right to be heard and what the village does for us and said "it makes me feel happy!", when Duncan said if he was in trouble or had a concern, he knows he can talk to his friends on the Children's Council and know they would go to the VOH leadership who would address his concern,  and when Gift realized he is part of the centre, that children are counted and that they (VOH leadership) always put us (the children) first in every decision."

Here's a couple of clips from the session when they talk about what they learned and how Child Safeguarding impacts them. 

It's always great to hear directly from the children! It blesses my heart to see the confidence they have and to realize they are important, safe and heard!




Now what's coming up next week!

I'm heading out on Saturday to 2 of our centres in Zambia, VOH Kitwe and VOH Chongwe, for a couple of weeks to conduct my first In Field Review. I'll be meeting with program leaders and will be conducting focus groups with children to ensure standards are being upheld and the work is being effective in impacting the lives of children.

I can't wait!

I'm excited to be able to meet the children and leaders in person, to hear the reports and see how God is working in and through Villages of Hope Africa. I also know there is always room for improvement so, whatever areas we see needs improvement, we'll put a plan in place to work on that too! 

PRAYER REQUESTS

I truly value your prayers over the next couple of weeks as I meet with the staff, on the ground partners, and VOH children.

Please pray:

1. That God will give me wisdom and insight
as I conduct the reviews, have conversations with the leaders, review information and lead sessions with the children.
2. For the staff and children, that they will be engaged and responsive. 
3. For the ministry as we will continue to strive to be the best we can be to His glory and honor. 

May the Lord bless you for being part of this ministry with me through your prayers and gifts. You are a blessing to me personally, to the VOH leadership and staff and to the children we serve. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?