You want to see impact? Here it is ... direct from the children!

 




VOH aspires is "to bring hope to children in need" but is it happening? 

I can answer with a resounding "YES!"! 

Over the last 2 months, I've been conducting reviews in 5 of our 10 VOH Centres including....

  • Conducting over 50 1-1 interviews with program leaders
  • Reviewing countless documents, child records, and
  • Leading 17 focus groups with over 130 children!

It's been exhausting!! For those of you who know me well, you know I have a lot of work stamina, but every time I was finished for the day, I was tired! But it's been amazing too.

I've never been more convinced of the impact VOH is having on the lives of children.

It's FAR too much to explain in a short update, but here are a Few Highlights:

  • Children in VOH schools have higher overall grades and success than those the government schools 
  • The feeding programs are providing much needed nutrition - and the children love it!
  • Children are cared for physically, including having their height & weight measured each year
  • Those living in children's homes have caring mothers and a sense of belonging
  • Children learn about God's love for them on a regular basis
  • Every child is truly loved and cared for! 

What touched my heart most was hearing the children themselves.

To hear responses from children firsthand was both heart wrenching and inspiring.
Like when I asked the question, "What is your favorite thing about being part of VOH?" Nelly, a 15-year-old from VOH Kitwe, replied, "We get our education, they give me shoes, school bags, uniforms, socks, porridge".  She is truly thankful for what most of us take for granted - education, food, and a simple a pair of shoes.

I heard similar answers over and over again. Here's a few more:

  • "They help me to read." - Josephine, 9
  • They take good care of us. If you have troubles, they help." - Evans, 17
  • "For those who can't manage to feed themselves, there is a soya program" - Webster, 18
  • "I like the clinic because when you are not feeling well, you get medicine, drink and get better." - Agnes, 17
  • "I like the way they do the chapel program. We go there to praise God." - Alick, 17
  • "Playing on the see saw" - Stephen, 8
  • "They encourage you, especially when you fail a test to give you a boast to do better - Blessing, 18
  • "I love the discipleship class because it's a place I can find people, especially if you are struggling spiritually, to help you and make you feel good." - Agnes, 17
  • VOH is like a home of those people in need, everything is here - we pray, we eat, we study." - Clement, 18
  • You be here and grow up and can be a teacher, nurse or a doctor, or a pirate." - Naison, 8
  • The way they love us - Moses, 18
  • Everything. - Benjamin, 15





Here's what a few children had to say about the hope VOH brings, and their own hope for the future:
  • VOH is like a community that gives us hope to move on. It's mostly concerned with orphans and vulnerable children, maybe you've lost a parent. They will give you shelter, give you everything. Why should I live in the past? I should just move forward. I don't want to disappoint these people, so I move forward and it gives me hope. - Ireen, 17
  • "Hope is something you don't see but you believe in it and am sure this thing will happen. I have hope they will still help me until I finish school." - Sylvester, 17
  • "My own motive is to finish school so I can sponsor children who are growing up. Not all people are rich. Everyday someone dies and the children are left homeless. Maybe one day I can do the same that those in VOH are doing now'. - Rodrick, 18
Lastly, I asked them "if you had the chance, what would you like to say to people in Canada who love and care for you and support you?" All the children wanted you thank you. Perhaps Harold and Gift, two 18-year-old boys from VOH Chongwe, summed it up best:
  • "Thank them for what they have done for me. If it wasn't for them and God I would not have been here. " - Harold
  • "Thank them for the love, support and care they are giving us. If it wasn't for VOH, I don't know where I would have been" - Gift
Over the next few months, I will be doing reviews in the other 5 centres. But from what I've seen so far, if you ever have wondered if VOH is impacting the lives of children, wonder no more.

The mission of "Bringing hope to children in need" is being accomplished, through God's grace, hard work and your support.

Thank you for being part of bringing hope to the children. I hope you feel the same joy in your heart as I do.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?

No more waiting!