Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would do this

 

... I literally gave water to children who had none.

I've spent most of my updates talking about the great work VOH is doing and the impact it has in the lives of children. But today I want to share 2 life changing experiences I recently had and what God is speaking to my heart.

Here's the 1st story:

It was in a remote area of Tanzania, the heart of Masi country, where families survive on herding goats and cattle. I wasn't prepared for what I saw. It was so dry, there were dust tornados in the air. The cattle were so skinny, with bones protruding; some carcasses were already lying on the ground. There had been no rain since last February. Many people were walking miles and miles every day just to find water.

Children we drove by were not only holding out their hands for food but asking for water. I've had children ask me for food before, but never in my life have I had a child ask me for water.





We ran into a Masi father, with his 2-year-old son, wanting a ride to go find their cattle. As they jumped in, the little boy was almost in tears. He had never been in a car before and was scared. But as we zoomed away, he got a little more excited. As they got out, we gave him a bottle of water. He was SO happy. I think he had fun. I made a new friend that day.





As we left the region, we distributed bottles of water to children who were herding goats or cattle. Many of them won't have the chance to go to school. But for that one day, they had a bottle of cold, clean water. I literally lived out Matthew 10:42. Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think that would happen ...

Then I went to Burundi ...

Burundi is the poorest country in the world. It's GNI per capita is $270.


VOH has 2 centres there. As I drove to the one in the countryside, the poverty hit me. Many children weren't in school, had no shoes and their clothes were dirty, torn, or both. 

At VOH, the children wear uniforms and are always happy. It's hard to realize they are among the most vulnerable. I was awakened to that reality when I visited a few of their homes. Here's 2 brief stories:

Vania & Darcie
Vania,(10 in grade 4), and her young brother Darcie (5, in preschool 2) live with their mom. Their father moved away many years ago. She farms to provide for her children. Tragically, earlier this year, Florence, their 7-year-old sister, fell while climbing a tree with her friends and succumbed to a head injury. There was nothing they could do. Here's her story and a tour of their home:



Elvis & Jackson
Elvis (9) and Jackson (8) live with their mom, Florence, and grandfather, Joseph, in a home he bought many years ago. Their father died when they were babies. She also does farms to help provide for their family. Florence told me she is so happy because her children have gotten "many things from VOH, like knowledge and the Word of God." 

She told me how she loves God. When I said "why" her answer touched my heart. She said, "Because He's done so many things for me. He feeds me. When I'm sick, He heals me and sometimes I don't know how the day will be. When I wake up I don't know if I will eat or be able to feed the children, but at the end of the day, it comes to happen - I eat and can feed the kids." She went on to say, "I plan day by day because I don't know what the future holds." Talk about trusting God and living one day at a time. 



Here's what's on my heart that I want to share with you today.

I know that charities often get criticized for focusing on the needs in Africa, instead of the wonderful things this continent has to offer.  Africa IS an amazing, diverse continent and tremendous program has been made in recent years. Every day I see resilient, hardworking, innovative Africans finding ways to provide for their families. 

But it's also true that the needs are real. I'm not exaggerating. I'm not making it up. I've seen it with my own eyes - children asking for food, children desperate for water. Children literally do go to bed hungry, live in borrowed homes and mothers wake up many mornings not knowing where they will get food for themselves or their children that day.

That's why the work of Villages of Hope Africa is so important. 

Just like in Matthew 9, when Jesus saw the crowd and had compassion on them, He asks us to do the same - see the need, have compassion, be deeply moved and take action. 

Thank you for having compassion.  You are making a difference in the lives of some of the world's most vulnerable children.  

PRAYER REQUESTS: 
  1. Let's praise God for the great progress that has happening in Africa!
  2. Pray for the thousands of families & children who still struggle everyday 
  3. Pray that we may have hearts that are moved with compassion
I pray these stories have touched your heart. As we celebrate God's goodness this Christmas, may we never forget those who are less fortunate. If you feel so lead, please consider a special Year End Christmas gift towards my mission with VOH and serving the poor. 

Many blessings to you and your loved ones this Christmas

Much love,
Jeanette.





 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?

No more waiting!