My Heart is Broken

 


When I worked at World Vision, one of the things I loved is the famous saying the founder had. He was touched by a little orphan girl he met in Korea and coined the phrase:

"Let my heart be broken
by the things that break the heart of God."


In the last few months, my heart has been broken. I know I'm called to be in Tanzania, but, to be honest, some days it's not easy. The poverty and need that is always around is getting to me.


 ... Like the little girl I met while walking on a Saturday morning. She was selling peanuts. I bought a handful, but paid for a bucket full. I saw her again the next Saturday. When I asked if the lady walking behind her was her mama she said no, but 2 days later she showed up at my house gate with her mom, telling the guard I had told her to come because I was going to help them.

... Like my friend at church who had saved for 6 months to pay in advance for his rent of a 8 x 10 room. He had nowhere to put his clothes, so I helped him get a clothes rack and hangers - only to have the place broken into last week. The thief took his full month's salary he had gotten 2 days before ($55) and he only had $30 to his name until the next pay day.

... Like the children who ask me for food - on the street, at my car window, or the lame man, the blind lady or the beggars I see everyday, just to name a few, all in need.

... And like the orphaned children who live at "Forever Angels," a special home that a group of women from Petra church and I visited recently. We went on a Sunday after church to give a few gifts of diapers, food and clothes, and just love on them. 

The home is for babies and young children, from 0 - 5 years old. (Once they get older, if not adopted, they go to a children's home with charities like Villages of Hope). They have 24 children there right now. We weren't allowed to take pictures of the children, as they don't want to feel they are on display, but we were able to take pictures of the team visit.




There was a small memorial plot on the property with a cross for every child who had arrived at the home but didn't make it. 


The stories are varied, but yet the same. The mother must have felt there was no other option, so left her child in a public place, like a dump or toilet, waiting for someone to rescue them. Children, like Mercy, are found, taken to the police, handed over to social welfare and then brought to Forever Angels. They estimated Mercy was under a year old when she arrived.

It's just breaks my heart. But, there IS hope. Many of the children are adopted and now almost 70% are adopted into Tanzanian families! Mercy is one of them. She is now 1 1/2 years old has been adopted into a family living in Dar es Salaam. She has a bright future ahead!!

As I write this update, I am hopeful because I see the impact charities like Forever Angels and Villages of Hope are having in the lives of so many children everyday.

Yet, my heart is still heavy. The poverty is real. The needs are great. I know you know that.

It can seem overwhelming at times. The last 3 months for me have been the hardest since I came to Tanzania. It's just getting to me. It's not easy to live among the poverty every day and know that I can't solve all the problems.

But, then I'm reminded - God doesn't ask us to solve every burden in life. He asks us to be faithful, and to do what we can. So everyday I just do my best and try to be sensitive to the leading of the Holy Spirit of if/when I need to help. 

I hope the update isn't too heavy this month. It's not meant to be. It's meant to be a reminder of how important your prayers and support are and how much it matters. I am really grateful that you are coming alongside me in this journey. I need you.

Thank you for letting your heart be broken too, and for responding with your prayers, caring and support. If you able to give a special gift this month or become a monthly donor, that would be a real blessing to me, as my monthly support is still quite short of the monthly budget. Just click the donate button below.

Thanks again for your love and support. Let's celebrate together when, one child at a time, lives are changed.

Blessings,
Jeanette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

No more waiting!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?