It was an Experience I won't soon forget!

 


These last few weeks have been quite an experience. One I won't soon forget.

I went to northern Uganda for a 3 week acclerated training program about a community development model called Community Health Evangelism, known as "CHE." It's a Global network of Christians serving in over 4,000 villages in more than 130 countries worldwide. Its mission is to work alongside communities and local churches to impact the lives of children, families and communities by empowering them to address both physical and spiritual needs in an integrated way. 

We met every day from 8 am until 6 or 7 in the evening, learning the program to equip us to become a "Trainer of the Trainers". I was learning it so I can come alongside some of our global workers in Africa who run ChildCARE Plus programs to help them integrate it with church-based community work, enabling us to broaden our impact, not just for the children but their families and communities as well.

It has been quite the experience. Originally, it was to be held at the YWAM training centre, but due to the concern of Ebola, 7 American participants cancelled last minute - and it turned out to be just me and 4 others from the local community who took the training.

This actually turned into a blessing because the lessons were now immersed with real life experience and examples - like who knew women in northern Uganda aren't supposed to eat chicken? When asked why, they responded "it's probably because the men want it for themselves!" On a more serious note, we discussed many real life issues and realities they face everyday and how we can partner with the local church and community to empower them to bring lasting change. 

It was intense, educational, impactful and fun ... and we all graduated!
The big surprize was, that due to the cancelation of the other foreigners, instead of staying at a training center, we held it in one of the participant's home in the village - and they informed me that's where I would be staying!

I have to be honest - on the first night I desperately wanted to check into a hotel in the nearby town. I'm ashamed to admit it but I was struggling to see how I could stay in a village for 3 weeks! The area has had a recent outbreak of maleria (and there weren't any mosquito nets), I was struggling with a stomach bacteria issue, and I had already seen far too many cockroaches in my room for my liking.

I reached out to my global worker friend from Uganda. She encouraged me, "Ask God to speak to you in a special way these 3 weeks". So I did. I prayed, and asked God to help change my mindset ... and He did! By the 3rd day, I decided to embrace the experience. Everything changed. 

Instead of complaining, I used the opportunity to see how people live in a rural village setting. After all, it's not everyday you get to be immersed in a village. I marvelled at the women who carried the 20L Jerrycans  weighing 25 kg of water, many making 10 trips every evening. I could barely lift the can! I joined in to the nightly soceer game with the local boys. I admired the homes, and smiled as I listened to Avasi, my new 4 year old friend, whose singing constantly filled our home every morning and night. 
And, I experienced a small village church, with the pastor being one of our CHE students.  During the offering time, I noticed every adult and child put something in the basket. I knew that while my small offering was likely more than many of the others, it was not really sacrifical, but theirs likely was. It was the widow's mite story right in front of my eyes. While only perhaps 5 adults and a handful of children were present, all worshipped and praised Him with all their might!
Hallelujah! My God is good!
I was humbled. The whole experience touched me deeply. God did speak to me in a special way. I'm still processing it all, but am now grateful for the opporunity to share life with them for a few weeks, and see how their joy and strength truly does come from the Lord, despite what can seem like impossible situations at times. 

After graduation, I went back to Kampala for the weekend, where I was introduced to a group of children who are part of the ChildCARE Plus (CCP) program. 

They all belong to a local church, about 45 min from the city. We gathered, shared a few stories, had snacks and played a few games together. Because of CCP they are all able to attend school and are engaged with discipleship ministry in their church. Their laughter once again brought joy to my heart.

I had the chance to meet Hadija, a 15 year old girl, who is part of the CCP program. She recently started a 2 year school to learn hairstyling and cosmetology. She has a real passion for it, and aspires to open her own shop one day with her own employees working with her, and using the income to provide for her future family.
As I said at the beginning of this update, it's been quite an experience. I have ...
  • learned a new community development model that integrates caring for both physical and spiritual needs 
  • gained a new appreciation for life in villages and respect for the people who have so much to teach me
  • experienced the joy of the Lord in a wonderful church with adults and children alike singing His praise
  • met children whose lives are being changed by the CCP program, as they have the chance to go to school and aspire for their futures
And that's not all.. there's more. One major highlight was a weekend trip to one of the biggest Refugee Settlements in the world .. but this update has been long enough, and my heart is already so full.

So, I've decided to make this a 2-Part Series ... stay tuned for my Sept update when I will share more about my experience at Bidi Bidi Refugee Settlement in northern Uganda with over 270,000 refugees from South Sudan.

You won't want to miss it.

For today, thanks for your ongoing prayers! They sure worked this past month! 

Blessings,
Jeanette

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jambo (Hello) from Africa!

My Tanzania work permit was rejected. What do I do now?

No more waiting!